This month, get to know N Street Village volunteer Jean Simons. Jean began serving at N Street Village’s Wellness Center in the summer of 2010. Jean leads an exercise class called “Strong and Fit” and is a mentor to an N Street Village client who is now leading her own exercise class called “Village Workout.”
I am a personal trainer at Rock Creek Sports Club in Silver Spring. I was a practicing attorney for many years – I changed careers so that I could focus on what I love: helping others with their strength and cardio goals. I have seen how working out can help with depression, anxiety and self-esteem as well as everyday tasks in life. I came to N Street Village because of its terrific reputation for changing the lives of women who are experiencing homelessness.
- Where are you from and how long have you lived in D.C.? I’m from Boston and I’ve lived in DC for 17 years.
- What is your favorite thing about living in D.C.? I love that we are never far from theater, music, restaurants, and also hiking and biking trails.
- On a Saturday evening you will find me …. hanging out with my family.
- When I have free time I most enjoy …. going for a long bike ride with my husband or cooking a great meal.
- Book last read….The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides.
- Most played song on iPod…Mary J. Blige “Family Affair”
- What do you enjoy most about volunteering at N Street Village? I love laughing and having fun with the women in the Strong and Fit class while we also break a sweat and get stronger. It has been amazing to partner with Terri Wade (a resident of N Street Village) as she designs and leads her own fitness class for other N Street Village women.
- Why is it important to support N Street Village? The work that N Street Village does is vital, especially in this economy. Women at N Street Village are treated with respect and given a wide variety of help and support.