Washington, D.C. (November 2, 2011) – Today, the Center for Nonprofit Advancement, in partnership with Reznick Group and BoardSource, named N Street Village as the winner of its 2011 Board Leadership Award at its inaugural Board Leadership Showcase.
“I am honored to have our Board win such a distinguished award from the Center of Nonprofit Advancement, especially since Washington, D.C. is filled with so many deserving nonprofit organizations,” said Schroeder Stribling, Executive Director of N Street Village. “Over the past several years the N Street Village Board of Directors has demonstrated exceptional ingenuity and commitment and has enhanced the strength and well-being of our organization. I continue to feel inspired by the strong partnership that we share and by the Board‟s unwavering dedication to the N Street Village mission.”
N Street Village provides long-term housing and comprehensive support services for homeless and low-income women in Washington, D.C. The organization has earned local recognition for its excellent service to the community. Recent awards include The Washington Post Excellence in Nonprofit Management Award, the EXCEL award for nonprofit leadership and the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill Heroes in the Fight Award.
The N Street Village Board of Directors demonstrates a strong commitment to the organization‟s mission through innovative practices, including:
- The use of Board mentors to increase new Board members‟engagement in N Street Village and its governance.
- Participation in ‘Village Visits,” which are quarterly, half-day immersion opportunities for Board members to participate in volunteer service and have in-depth conversations with program leadership and clients.
- Targeting ambitious goals and tracking their financial support for N Street Village’s mission; this encourages and challenges members to engage new donors in creative ways.
- Routine Board assessment and the use of dashboards to measure performance regarding member engagement, contributions, self-improvement, and training.
- A commitment to strategic planning, which has included the development of a long-range leadership succession plan for the organization.
“This award is such a special honor, and I am humbled to serve as the Board Chair at N Street Village,” said Vicki McCormick. “Our Board” great team of strategic thinkers and visionaries, coupled with our dedicated staff leadership all go above and beyond the call of duty and truly deserve this recognition,” she said.
The selection of the Board Leadership Award winner was a rigorous and intensive process, which included the nomination of 21 organizations, interviews with selected nominees and site visits to finalists. As a winner of the Board Leadership Awardin the over $2 million budget category, N Street Village is awarded a $10,000 cash grant and additional training and development opportunities for the Board and CEO.